The Mountaintops of Giants can be considered the final region you can visit in Elden Ring. It is located far to the north at the highest altitude of the Lands Between and is permanently sealed off, forbidden for anyone to visit.
Once, a proud race of Giants used to call these Mountaintops their home, but now like most of the Lands Between, it is in ruins after many wars.
While some new residents have definitely moved in, the original inhabitants’ corpses lay littered, buried deep under the snow, and forever frozen by the eternal chill encompassing the mountaintops.
As the Tarnished champion who seeks to unify the Elden Ring, you will have to climb to the highest part of these mountaintops. So, keep in mind, even if these lands were ignored for an unfathomable amount of time, there are formidable dangers along the road.
For the player Tarnished to reach the Mountaintops, you will have to get past the Royal Capital Layendell and defeat its ruler, Morgott, the Omen King. Once you defeat him, your companion, Melina will give you the Medallion of Rold.
With this trinket in your possession, you can stride forwards to the Mountaintops of the Giants.
That means this journey constitutes 2 major parts. First, obtain the Medallion of Rold, and next, take the Grand Lift of Rold all the way up to the Mountaintops of Giants.
We will guide you step-by-step from the Altus Plateau, through the Royal Capital, and to the Mountaintops of the Giants with details.
How to Get Medallion of Rold?
You can refer to the map guide or follow the steps to go all the way to Morgott. Defeating him will reward you with the Medallion of Rold.
- Fast Travel to the Altus Plateau Site of Grace or start from the top Grand Lift of Dectus.
- From there head towards the north map marker to obtain the Altus Plateau Map Fragment.
- Head towards the Gate of the Capital City, the large staircase is guarded by soldiers and Tree Sentinel Field Boss Duo.
- Once inside the gate, there is a Site of Grace and an Erdtree shoot that has a couple of Golden Seeds. You will also find the Leyndell: Royal Capital Map fragment right there.
- From the Site of Grace head towards another set of grand staircase that heads towards the northeast. You will be attacked by a Giant Flying enemy as you head up this staircase.
- Once you are over these staircases, you will reach war-torn ground. On the center of this ground, you will find a soldier who will turn into Margit the Fell Omen. You can battle him here to get a Viridian Amber Medallion +1.
- After meeting Margit, you need to go a bit southeast, uphill. There is a staircase at the end of a burnt-out militia area.
- Climb the staircase and you will reach a forested area that has a graveyard. From here the path is straight.
- Follow the path and avoid the Giants that shoot arrows at you, once past them towards the south is a gate guarded by a Tree Sentinel.
- Fight and defeat the Draconic Tree Sentinel to proceed. You can easily poke and defeat him while riding horseback on Torrent.
- Head inside the arched gate and you will reach a Site of Grace above the ramparts. Get inside the chamber directly in the front of Grace Site and take a lift.
- Follow the dark corridor, and you will reach an altar with a body that has Furlcalling Finger Remedy. From there take an exit upstairs, follow the passage, and when it opens up turn right.
- As soon as you turn right, you will enter a room with another Site of Grace, East Capital Ramparts where Melina should come talk to you and thank you for taking her to the base of the Erdtree. Then she will leave your side for a while.
- Head out of this chamber towards a new passage, then turn left from the exit towards a rampart full of enemies that will use their weapons to conjure damaging bubbles to attack you.
- From this rampart, there are multiple ways to get down to the next part. The straightforward way is to get to the end of this Rampart and enter the chamber, go downstairs, and take the lift down. Then take the staircases all the way down to the lower street level.
- Alternatively, you can fall down on the golden roof that has 6 decorative extensions, then again jump below. Once there you can keep going straight while jumping over raised plant beds to reach the lower street level.
- This area also called as the lower street level has multiple ways to go. There will be a gate guarded by soldiers at one end and a huge unguarded door at the opposite end, both sides are not where you need to go. An Erdtree avatar will attack you right by the place where there is a grill door entrance. Enter it and exit that chamber to find a new Site of Grace.
- Once at the Site of Grace called Avenue Balcony, take the stairs that lead you to a lower level, it opens up to an area with knights that will shoot lightning arrows at you. This level is connected to the body of a huge dragon structure that you can climb up.
- Climb the dragon structure and by the mid-way, you will see an extension that will let you jump into the interiors.
- Jump in and climb the ladder up and follow the passage straight till you reach West Capital Rampart Site of Grace.
- Go out from the Site of Grace, sneak past the enemies, and climb the giant tree branch to the upper levels.
- You will see a balcony you can reach, inside the balcony is a large chamber, most probably the residence of Elden Lord Godfrey. You will have to fight him here.
- Defeat the Elden Lord and exit towards another balcony directly opposite to the one you entered from. Don’t mistake it for another balcony that is perpendicular to the two opposing balconies.
- Exit and take another branch upwards. This branch will directly lead you to an upper level inside a chamber, you can take an exit to a pathway out of there leading to another chamber and a Site of Grace.
- You will reach the Queen’s bed chamber and a Black Knife Assassin will ambush you here. After you are clear of enemies, rest at this Site of Grace.
- Right out of this Site of Grace is a really tall staircase that will lead you to the Bossfight Arena.
- You will see a cutscene and then fight Morgott the Omen King. He is a tough fight so be prepared.
- Once you defeat Morgott, Melina will give you Rold Medallion and additionally she asks you to take her to the Mountaintops of Giants. A new marker will be added to the map.
How to Get to The Grand Lift of Rold?
Once you have the Medallion of Rold, you will embark on another mission, as the base of Erdtree is inaccessible and covered in thorns.
Melina tells you that she can help you get through these thorns by burning them, and for that, you will need to take her to the Mountaintops of Giants. From the peaks, she says that she can help set the Erdtree aflame.
Here is a map guide to help you start. You can refer to the steps if you get confused anywhere.
- Fast travel to East Capital Ramparts Site of Grace and again take the exit towards the Ramparts filled with enemies that blow bubbles at you.
- Once again descend to the street level however you like, by leaping to the buildings below or by using the lift and staircases. Once below turn right or east towards the huge unguarded gate.
- Open the gate, reach a sand-covered area, and take the large staircase upwards till the path leads you to a building entrance on the left.
- Enter the building and take the lift upwards.
- Walk the ramparts straight to a circular lift that should take you down.
- Once at the bottom, there is an exit to the east leading you to the Forbidden Lands. There is another Site of Grace here.
- There will be faint pinkish-red traces of light guiding your path through these mist-covered snowy paths. Follow the faint trace of light towards the northeast.
- You should see a narrow path that is guarded by enemies along the northeast direction. Carefully follow this snowy path without falling down.
- You should come upon some unlit Braziers as you take this path. A field boss called Black Blade Kindred should attack you here. Keep going straight and enter the structure behind the boss.
- There is a Site of Grace here called Grand Lift of Rold.
- Show the medallion and take the lift up to Mountaintop of Giants.
- Take the path straight towards the northeast again till you reach your first Site of Grace in the Mountaintops of Giants ie. Zamor Ruins. Along the path, you will also find the Map Fragment of this area as well.