Skyrim Script Extender, also known as SKSE, is a vital tool that you’ll need if you’re looking to install mods in your game.
The tool extends the capabilities and functionality of the original game so that different types of overhauling mods can work properly.
The process to install SKSE is pretty simple. First, you’ll need to download the SKSE file for your game’s version.
Then, extract the content of the file to your game’s directory. Finally, you can launch the game by running the SKSE executable file or assigning the SKSE loader path in your mod managers.
Let’s get into the details.
Step 1: Check Your Game Version
Start by checking the version of your game. Learning your game’s version is crucial for the next step, where we will download SKSE for your game.
Mismatch in the SKSE version with your game’s version may cause problems while launching your game.
To check your game’s version,
- Navigate to the game’s directory.
- Select the SkryimSE file and press Alt + Enter keys.
- Switch to the Details tab.
- You can find your game’s version under File version.
Step 2: Download SKSE for Your Game
Next, you have to download the SKSE file for your game’s version.
If your game is up-to-date, then simply download the SKSE file for your game from the website.
If your game is outdated, you can find older SKSE in archived builds.
To download SKSE for your game,
- Go to the SKSE website.
- Here, you’ll find a list of the latest SKSE for the different versions of the game, including the classic Skyrim (Legendary Edition), the Special Edition, the Anniversary Edition, the GOG version of the Anniversary Edition, VR version. Click the Download 7z File link beside your game’s version.
- If your game’s version is older than the given versions, click on archived builds. Here, you’ll find all the old versions of the SKSE file. Download the appropriate file for your game’s version.
- Open the zip file and extract the files.
- Copy the
Data folder, skse64_1_6_640.dll, skse64_loader.exefile to your game directory.
A good way to verify the SKSE compatibility with your game is by checking the name of the dll file.
These files are always named after your game’s version. For example, the skse64_1_6_318.dll is compatible with Skyrim version 1.6.318. Similarly, skse64_1_6_640 is compatible with Skyrim 1.6.640.
Step 3: Run the SKSE Loader
All there’s left to do now is run the SKSE executable. You can either directly open the executable or run it via mod manager by assigning the executable’s path.
Open it Directly
To directly run the file, you’ll need to run it as administrator, simply right-click the skse64_loader.exe and select Run as administrator.
You can also set the application to Run as Adminstrator every time you launch the exe file.
- Click on skse64_loader.exe and press the Alt + Enter keys.
- Switch to the compatibility tab and check the Run this program as an administrator checkbox.
- Click on the Apply button and hit Save
- Launch Vortex and switch to the Dashboard menu.
- Click the vertical ellipsis icon beside SKSE and select Set as Primary.
- Hit the play icon on the top left corner to launch the game via SKSE loader.
Via Mod Organizer 2
- Launch Mod Organizer 2.
- Click the dropdown menu beside the Run button and select Edit.
- Click the plus + icon beside Executable and select Add from File.
- Navigate to your Skyrim’s game directory and double-click on skse64_loader.exe.
- Hit Apply and click on OK.
- Hit the Run button to run the game from MO2.
The whole process has been covered in a video guide for your convenience,