In Diablo 4, every class has a unique class mechanic that sets them apart from each other. Just like the weapon-switching mechanic of the Barbarian class, Necromancers have the Book of the Dead ability that allows them to raise the dead. I.e., Skeletons and Golem.
Golems are an amalgamation of numerous skeleton minions, and they usually have a larger health pool and damage output capability compared to the rest of the minions.
The Bone Golem, in particular, is the first one out of the three Golems that you can get in the game.
You can summon the Bone Golem by simply equipping the Golem Summon skill on the hot bar.
However, there are a few prerequisites that you’ll need to complete in order to unlock the ability to summon the Bone Golem.
- First, you must reach level 25 on your Necromancer character.
- Secondly, you must complete the Necromancer class quest called the Call of the Underworld.
Let’s get into the details !
Step 1: Complete the Necromancer Class Quest
The Call of the Underworld is the class quest for Necromancer that will unlock automatically after you’ve hit level 25 with your Necromancer. The quest requires you to complete a dungeon while collecting 12 unbroken bones.
To get started, you’ll need to head on over to the Shrine of Rathma. It is located north of Menestad, right next to the Frost Mine cellar.
- After reaching the destination, interact with the Shrine of Rathma.
- Speak with the Master Necromancer, Maltorius.
- Then, collect 12 Unbroken bone from Skeleton enemies.
- Next, head to the Bitter Cave to collect the artifact. You can follow the objective marker as well.
- Interact with the Jar of Souls and finish off all the enemies.
- Finally, speak with Maltorius to complete the quest.
Step 2: Summon the Bone Golem
Completing the class quest will immediately unlock the ability to summon Golem. But in order to use this ability, you’ll need to assign the Summon Golem skill to the hot bar.
Follow the steps below:
- Open the Skill Assignment menu by pressing the S key on your Keyboard. You can also open this menu via Skill Tree > Skill Assignment.
- Next, drag the Bone Golem ability to the hot bar.
Here’s a video guide for a more in-depth explanation.
Bone Golem Abilities
The Bone Golem summon works a bit differently compared to the Raise Skeleton ability, even though both of them are summoning abilities.
Unlike the Raise Skeleton, you don’t have to cast the ability on corpses to summon the Bone Golem. You simply need to place the Golem ability on the hot bar.
Bone Golems are much more sturdy than the rest of the skeleton army because of their huge health pool. Even if they’re defeated in battle, they can resurrect themselves after 20 seconds.
Moreover, you can use the Bone Golem ability from the hot bar to make the golem Unstoppable and taunt the enemies while also gaining a damage reduction of 30% for 6 seconds.
Variations of the Golem
While you cannot upgrade the Bone Golem directly, there are an additional two tiers of the Golem that you can acquire in the game. I.e., Blood Golem and the Iron Golem.
They are much stronger and have different appearances, passives, and active abilities.
To unlock the Blood Golem, you have to level up your Necromancer to level 28. Similarly, you can only unlock the Iron Golem after reaching level 32.
Every Golem has three different upgrades that you can choose from the Book of the Dead menu. You can make them deal more damage, make them tank-ier, or sacrifice them to add a permanent buff to your Necromancer.
Here’s a list of all the Golems and their upgrades.
|1. Bone Golem sheds a corpse every time they take damage equivalent to 20% of their maximum health
2. Increased maximum health by 10% and inherited Thorn by 50%
3. Increases attack speed by 10% but loses the ability to summon the Golem
|1. Absorbs 15% of damage taken by the player
2. Golem gains 15% damage reductions and 50% increased damage at full health
3. Increase maximum health by 10% but lose the summoning ability
|1. Golem creates a shockwave in its 5th attack dealing increased damage to enemies.
2. Golem’s slam attack makes enemies vulnerable for 3 seconds.
3. Increases critical strike damage in exchange for the golem summoning ability.