Before the introduction of display names, users in Roblox needed to pay 1000 Robux every time they wanted to change their name. With the introduction of the display name feature though, they can change their name every seven days for free.
The display name works the same way as the username, and it is visible to other players when you join in on any game or use the chat feature. The best part about changing your display name is that you can change your name even if it is already taken by someone.
However, your display name still needs to follow the community rules and ToS of Roblox.
How to Change Your Display Name on Roblox
You can change your display name in Roblox by navigating to your settings page.
- Open your web browser and visit Roblox’s homepage, then log in to your Roblox account.
- Once you are logged in to your account, click on the small gear icon at the top-right corner of the page.
- Now, select Settings.
- Under the Account Info section, locate Display Name and click on the Edit icon.
- In the text box, type your new Display Name and click on Save once you’re satisfied.
How to Change Your Username on Roblox
If you don’t like your current username and want to change it to something more spectacular or unique, you can do so by paying 1000 Robux.
- Go to Roblox’s homepage on your web browser and log in to your account.
- Click on the small gear icon on the top-right corner of the webpage and select Settings.
- Now, select the Account Info tab and under the Account Info section, click on the Edit icon next to your Username.
- You will now see a new popup saying you need 1000 Robux to change your username. Click on Buy to continue. (If you already have enough Robux on your account, you can change your username directly.)
- Once you have bought the required amount of Robux, click on the Edit icon again. This time, you will be able to enter your new username. (You also need to enter your account password for this process.)
Once you’ve entered your desired username, click on the Buy button.
What’s the Difference Between Display Name and User Name?
Both display name and user name are used to represent you on Roblox. However, there are some subtle difference that make them different from each other.
You can think of display name as a public alias, which other players including your friends can whenever you are online or inside a game. Your display name is shown whenever you perform any transaction on Roblox.
On the other hand, your user name is a unique id that you use to log in to your Roblox account. Usernames can be seen under display name whenever you visit someone’s profile. You can change your display name once every seven days for free. But to change your username, you need to pay 1000 Robux.
Also, you can choose any display name you want as long as it meets the community standard but your username must be unique and shouldn’t match with the username of other players.