Civilization 6 is a complex game, and diving into it as a beginner can be a hard task. As you’re going through the game’s menu, the first thing you’ll notice is its unique difficulty levels.
Civilization 6 doesn’t have traditional difficulty modes (i.e., Easy, Normal, or Hard). Instead, the difficulty is divided into various modes that dictate how you’ll approach the game. Also, knowing where your skills lie is a major concern when you’re playing this game.
This article will explain all the difficulty levels of Civilization 6 so that you’ll be able to learn the mechanics of the game quicker while also having fun.
Every Civilization 6 Difficulty Modes
The difficulty modes in Civilization 6 are pretty different from other video games. That is because instead of making AI dumb or smart, this game gives advantages to either you or AI at the start of each match. The difficulty mode you’ve selected will determine which side will get the advantage and how much of an advantage they get.
Below are detailed explanations of all the difficulty modes in Civilization 6:
Settler is the lowest difficulty setting in Civilization and is targeted at players who are absolute beginners in the Civilization series. It gives maximum advantage to the player while also giving some disadvantage to the enemy AIs. This is the perfect difficulty setting for someone who is looking to get the feel of the game.
When you set the difficulty mode to Settler, you’ll get a 45% increase in XP on all your units and also a +3 combat bonus. This is a huge advantage in a game like Civilization, where gold and XP play important roles in deciding the outcome of the match.
Settler Mode Details:
- All AI gets -1 combat debuff while the player gets a +3 combat bonus.
- The Player receives 45% combat XP.
- The Player gets 15 more gold from killing Barbarian camps.
- When the player wins a match in this mode, they’ll get the “Game, Settler, Match” achievement.
A chieftain is very similar to a Settler in terms of difficulty. The only difference is that you get slightly less bonus. This is perfect for players who want to see how the game works while also not getting relatively bored. Winning games in this difficulty isn’t hard, and you won’t also feel totally outmatched.
When you play in this difficulty mode, you’ll get 10 more bonus gold than the AI opponents. You’ll also get a +2 combat bonus and 30% more XP than your enemies.
Chieftain Mode Details:
- All AI gets -1 combat debuff while the player gets a +2 combat bonus.
- The Player also receives 30% more XP.
- The Player gets 10 more gold when killing Barbarian camps.
- Winning a match in this mode will reward you with the “Irish Heartbeat” achievement.
Warlord is ranked third when it comes to difficulty in Civilization 6. It is also a relatively easy difficulty mode that provides you with plenty of bonuses to play the game. It is perfect for those who don’t want too much difficulty but also don’t want it to be super easy. It is also the best mode to see where your skills stand before starting the game on equal footing with the AIs.
While in Warlord difficulty mode, you’ll get 5 more gold from killing Barbarian camps. You’ll also get a 15% increase in the XP gain and 1 combat bonus.
Warlord Mode Details:
- Enemy AI gets -1 combat debuff while the player gets a +1 combat bonus.
- The Player gets 15% more XP than enemies.
- The Player gets 5 more gold from killing a Barbarian camp.
- You’ll get the “Warlording Over Others” achievement when you bet the game in this mode.
Things will start to get really interesting after you play in this difficulty mode. Setting your difficulty mode to Prince will set the normal difficulty mode where every citizen has an equal chance to get ahead and win the game. It doesn’t provide you any bonuses nor puts AI at a disadvantage. It is the normal difficulty mode in Civilization 6.
Prince is a difficulty mode that you’d set when you understand how the game works and learn the ways of winning the game. You’ll be fighting with the opponents on equal footing with no XP or combat bonuses.
Prince Mode Details:
- Both AI and the player have equal damage and XP gains.
- Both AIs and players will begin the match with 1 settler and 1 warrior.
- No bonus gold for killing Barbarians camps.
- You’ll get the “The Prince” achievement when you win the game in this mode.
You’ll start to notice major differences in gameplay after setting the difficulty mode in King. It is because the buffs you’ve been enjoying so far will be transferred over to the AI instead. In other words, your enemies will start the game with advantages, so winning games will become very challenging from this point onward.
In King mode, all your AI opponents will get an 8% bonus in science, faith, and culture. They’ll also get a 20% more gold/ production bonus than you. Faced with these disadvantages, most players will face their first loss in this mode if they haven’t already.
King Mode Details:
- All AI gets 10% more XP. They also get an extra warrior.
- All AI units will have +1 strength.
- They also get an 8% bonus in culture, science, and faith and an additional 20% bonus in production/ gold.
- All AI will receive one extra builder when they build their first district.
- Winning a game in this mode will reward you with the “Divine Right of Kings” achievement.
The game will start to become substantially hard with this mode. You need to take every advantage you get and also not make any mistakes to win in this mode. If you love challenges, then this mode will throw you everything this game’s got, which makes winning extremely difficult.
Only the players who are confident in their skills can survive in this mode. In this mode, all AI opponents will get a 16% bonus in culture, science, and faith while also getting 40% more production/ gold bonuses. Playing in this mode will make you feel that everything is working against you.
Emperor Mode Details:
- All AI get 20% more XP and two extra warriors.
- All AI units will have +2 strength than the player.
- They will also get two more builders and settlers after building their first district.
- They receive a 16% bonus in science, culture, and faith and a 40% more production/ gold bonus than the player.
- You’ll get the “Emperor’s New Groove” achievement when you win in this mode.
The stake will be much higher when you play in this game. Not only will the AI start with a ridiculous amount of advantages, but you’ll also be at a major disadvantage when you play in this mode. Only the players who’ve been through every situation stand a chance of emerging victorious in Immortal mode.
While playing in this mode, you’ll be at a constant disadvantage throughout the game. With the advantages, AI opponents can destroy you pretty early while you’re able to do practically nothing. Winning in this mode means you’ve achieved the highest level of skill and patience in this game, as what comes after this will only mean you’re a literal god.
Immortal Mode Details:
- All AI will get a 20% bonus in science, culture, and faith. They will also get 60% more production/ gold than the player.
- All AI will start the game with a 30% XP bonus.
- They also get three more warriors than the player and all their units have +3 strength.
- AI opponents will get two more builders and settlers when they build their first district. They will also get 3 tech/ civics boosts.
- Winning in this mode will reward you with the “12 Labors of Hercules” achievement.
Forget about winning; just surviving in this mode will feel like an achievement in this mode. You have to be a literal god to be able to win in this mode. Even when you’re giving it your all, winning is extremely difficult when you’re playing in this mode.
Just surviving the first 20 minutes will take everything you’ve got in this mode. This is because your enemies will get almost two times more gold/ production than you, so their troops and buildings are almost double than yours. They can pretty much destroy you with sheer strength alone. You need an incredible amount of luck and skills to win in this mode.
Deity Mode Details:
- All AI will start the game with a 32% bonus in science, faith, and culture.
- They will also get an 80% more production/ gold bonus than the player.
- All AI opponents will also start with two builders, three settlers, and five warriors.
- They will also get four free tech/ civic boosts.
- They also have a 40% XP bonus, and all their units have +3 strength.
- You’ll get the “God-Like” achievement when you win in this mode.