It feels like the creators of Elden Ring did everything in their power to make Haligtree almost impossible to be discovered by casual players.
Haligtree is a secret location in the extreme northern portion of Lands Between. You can meet the toughest boss in all of the Souls Franchise, Malenia, the Goddess of Rot in the depths of Haligtree. It is also the final place for NPC Millicent’s questline.
To get to Haligtree, you have to find a secret Medallion and use it in the Grand Lift of Rold. Usually, the Lift of Rold takes you to the Mountaintops of the Giants, but you can toggle the option, and make it take you to a hidden path once you obtain the Haligtree Secret Medallion.
Annoyingly, just like other lift medallions, the Haligtree Secret Medallion is found separated in two pieces, each located very far apart from the other; making it incredibly easy to miss if you do not know where to look.
We have a marked map and step-by-step walkthrough both to guide you towards the two pieces of Haligtree Secret Medallion.
Where to Find Haligtree Secret Medallion (Right Piece)?
The right piece of Haligtree Secret Medallion is found concealed by an NPC called Albus. He can be found hiding in the Village of Albinaurics, in the south of Liurnia.
You are likely to get this piece accidentally, very early in the game, before you even know its use, just like how I obtained it during my first playthrough.
If you haven’t found it, let’s go get it right now. First, here’s a marked map that will guide the way with landmarks.
- Let’s start our search from Liurnia, Lake Facing Cliffs Site of Grace just nearby the church from where from get to first experience the exquisite beauty of Liurnia.
- Follow the marked map. Go downhill towards the north from the Church of Irryth, cross a narrow opening and you will reach the lake’s edge.
- Make it to the first Site of Grace, Liurnia Lake Shore. There will also be a wandering merchant very close to this Site of Grace.
- If you check the map, the stone pedestal with the map fragment should be just up north. It’s best you pick up the map fragment as it should be right on your way. Be careful though, there are enemies.
- Keep heading towards the marked direction along the line mark shown in the map. You will reach another Site of Grace located in the ruins called Layscar Ruins.
- From here head towards the cliffs at the edge of the lake, you will soon see a gigantic rock cavern in the cliffs, go inside there.
- Shortly you should see an uphill path with dead bodies hung by the ropes. Head towards there and you will be greeted with Village of Albinaurics on the screen.
- Find the Site of Grace, it should be directly visible from a shack just near the well in the center of the village.
- Head uphill, east from the Site of Grace, do not go towards the bridge. If a fire-breathing perfumer enemy attacks you along some shacks, you are going the right way.
- You should see a large pot at the end of this path. There is a stone coffin located just nearby.
- Roll onto the pot and it will reveal to be Albus the Albinauric, an NPC. Talk to him and he will give you the Haligtree Secret Medallion (Left) piece and will ask if you can give it to another Albinauric called Latenna. This also now enables you to do Latenna’s Questline.
Where to Find the Haligtree Secret Medallion (Left Piece)?
This left piece is found atop Castle Sol, located on the Mountaintops of the Giants. To reach Castle Sol you have to traverse the mountains of snow and get past a frightening snow graveyard guarded by a scary field boss.
Even after you make it to Castle Sol, obtaining the left medallion piece is a lot of work. It is found on the top of Castle Sol, which is a dungeon defended by strong enemies and a tough boss at its end.
If you are prepared, let’s get to work. First, here is a marked map to guide your path to Castle Sol.
- Starting from the Grand Lift of Rold. Pick up the Map fragment as you head towards the Site of Grace northwards in Zamor Ruins.
- Head East of Zamor Ruins. Once you cross the ruins take a U-Turn towards the northwest. You will reach the backside of the hill that opens to a long beautiful stone bridge.
- Cross the Bridge while avoiding the giant arrow shots from an Archer Giant guarding the bridge. Once past the bridge, go north to find Ancient Snow Valley Ruins.
- From the Site of Grace, keep going north along the marking on the map. Your path will now descend onto a frozen river guarded by giants. Best avoid them and head east to the next Site of Grace at Freezing Lake.
- From the Freezing Lake Site of Grace head uphill towards the north. Take a U-turn towards the west along the snowy graveyard.
- You will reach another Site of Grace called Snow Valley Ruins Overlook. From there head north and downhill. You should see Castle Sol and a Walking Mausoleum at the base of the hill. Just before you reach there, a field boss called Death Rite Bird should attack you.
- Avoid the boss or defeat it and go downhill to a large open area. You can rest at the Castle Sol Main Gate Site of Grace before you enter the castle.
Find the Haligtree Secret Medallion (left) at Castle Sol
Once you make it to Castle Sol, before entering, remember that this is a dungeon. You will have to reach the top of this dungeon and fight a boss guarding the path to get the Haligtree Secret Medallion(Left).
First, here is a map with landmarks to guide you, in case you want to navigate yourself. Although, I recommend you go through the steps before you follow the map to avoid any confusion.
- Enter the gate and immediately turn left past the wooden spikes while avoiding the lion-like enemies.
- Climb a short staircase, and turn right. You will see a fire-lit entrance on the left. Go in, and be careful, there are slugs that will drop on you inside this room.
- Climb the ladder up from the slug-infested room and you will find yourself on the ramparts of the castle.
- After you are up on the ramparts, go towards the broken tower in the southwest direction. You will have to circle the whole rampart, guarded by soldiers and ballistas.
- Run, and fight while avoiding the arrows, firebombs, and enemies lunging at you. Cross a wooden plank bridge that takes you to stairs, which lead to a rooftop.
- This roof has a ladder you can take down into a chamber. You can directly jump inside without taking any damage.
- Once at the chamber, you will find a painting. Open the door leading out of the chamber and head out.
- From the door, immediately head right then turn left towards another lit-up door. It is guarded by a pack of wolves.
- Once inside the door, climb the stairs up till you reach a terrace that has a large staircase leading to a huge arched door, directly in front of you. The entrance is guarded by soldiers and a lone knight.
- Once you enter the large doorway, immediately to the left is a Site of Grace called the Church of the Eclipse.
- Head out of the Grace Site, turn left, walk past the church aisle, and exit the church. Once out, you will see a staircase that leads to the boss fight arena.
- Go to the boss arena and challenge Commander Niall. It is a tough fight and you will have to defeat him to move ahead.
- Once the boss is defeated, it is a straightforward path to the top of Castle Sol. After you are at the top, you will find a ghost who is lamenting. The Haligtree Secret Medallion (Left) should be right there for you to pick up.