Playing APEX Legends with friends is always a better experience than playing alone. Callouts on comms, strategizing, and optimizing your team setup will contribute to your success and make it easier to waltz into the champion’s circle at the end of the game.
However, you have to add friends – both real-life friends and in-game friends – before you can add them to a party.
Whether you’re hoping to add your lifetime best buddy or someone you just met who really impressed you with their champion abilities, there are a few things to know about adding friends if you’re new to it.
How Does Adding Friends in APEX Work?
You can add friends in APEX Legends from within the game, which is convenient because APEX has enabled crossplay. This means that not every friend you have will necessarily have to play on the same platform to squad up together.
Once you’ve added a friend to your APEX list, you can invite them to join games.
Adding a Friend In-Game
Adding a friend in-game is really simple. To get started, sign into APEX with an active internet connection.
- Press the Friends icon on the main screen where you see your character. It looks like three little arrows pointing down, meant to represent people. If you hover over the icon, the pop-up should say Friends.
- Look on the list to the right. Every account connected to your APEX Legends account should show friends already on your list. If you see them on the list to your right, then you don’t need to add them because they’re already present.
- Click Find Friend at the bottom.
- Type in your friend’s username. If you aren’t sure which to use, check out the tips after this section.
- Click on the matching name with the correct platform symbol. Your friend will immediately get an invite to connect on APEX.
If you aren’t sure what name to use, here’s what you need to do.
Ensure your friend has allowed people to search for them with the term you’re using. You can use the EA Public ID, email address, PSN Online ID, Xbox Live gamertag, or their Nintendo nickname. If they haven’t allowed people to search for them, the entry won’t come up even if they’re available.
Your friends can change their privacy settings to help you find them on APEX.
- Sign into your EA account. You can use your Google, Apple ID, Steam, Xbox, or PlayStation accounts. They need to use the account associated with their APEX game.
- Choose Privacy Settings.
- Scroll down to find the Allow Users to Search for Me By option.
- Check the ones that you want to be visible on.
- Click Update. The person should be findable with the selected options now.
If you’re having trouble finding your friend, double-check to ensure you also have the options on your EA account set to be findable. That has helped some people make a connection.
What If I Still Can’t Find My Friend?
If you still can’t find your friend, try to sign out of APEX completely. Once you’re out, sign back in and try to see them again. Have them double-check that their privacy settings are correctly saved if they’re not visible.
If you’re trying to add someone on the console, ask them to sign in and show as online before you start APEX. Some players claim this can help when you can’t add a friend.
Some people say switching servers can help a wayward friend appear. Waiting for a bit and trying again might work too. Sometimes, friends don’t seem to appear as they should. If you’ve checked all the settings and they’re correct, reach out to EA for help. It could be a problem with the game.