Bunny Hopping is an advanced movement technique that is used to move between two points quickly and safely. This movement was introduced long ago in titles like CS: GO and WOW by SpeedRunners and professional players.
The Bunny Hop movement works exactly how it sounds. You move around by jumping just like a bunny. The main purpose of this movement in games like Valorant is to quickly reposition yourself while dodging enemy projectiles.
To perform a Bunny Hop, you’ll need to familiarize yourself with jumping and the strafing movement. Combining both of these movements in one fluid action is basically Bunny Hopping.
Let’s hop right into it.
Change Your Keybind
Although this step is completely optional, we strongly recommend you key-bind your jump to either the up or down mouse scroll wheel. Doing so will make it much easier to time your jump for bunny hopping accurately.
To change your key bind,
- On the Valorant main menu screen, click the Setting cog-wheel icon on the top right corner and open Settings.
- Switch to the Controls Tab.
- Click on the secondary key tab of Jump Option and scroll your mouse wheel either in the upward or downward direction to set it.
Understand the Basics
Before we begin, let’s quickly go over how the Bunny Hopping movement works. B-hop is basically a combination of two different movements. The first is jumping repeatedly, and the second one is strafing while you’re in mid-air.
First, let’s look at how to nail down the jumping movement.
- Head on over to the practice range and equip the knife.
- Find yourself a long corridor and start moving forward.
- Now use your scroll wheel to jump.
- As soon as you touch the ground, use your jump again immediately. Keep repeating this movement, to reduce the time you’re on the ground.
- Practice this movement for a while to get the hang of it.
Add Air Strafe
Moving on to the second part of Bunny hopping, the Air Strafing. This movement involves pressing a directional key and turning your mouse in a particular direction while you’re in mid-air.
This might seem a bit confusing, so let me explain.
- Start by moving in the forward direction. (Press the W key on your keyboard)
- As you start gaining some speed, perform a jump using the mouse scroll wheel.
- While you’re in the air, strafe either toward the left or the right direction while simultaneously moving your mouse in the same direction.
- As you go for the next jump after touching the ground, this time, strafe in the opposite direction.
- Repeat the process of chaining your jumps and air strafing to perform the bunny hop.
Note: As you start chaining your jumps, you can also let go of the forward directional key and still continue to bunny hop.
Master the Movement
Bunny hopping is not a movement that you can perfect in a few minutes, it requires a lot of patience as well as practice. The best way to master this movement is by perfecting your jump timings before moving on to air strafing.
To make air strafing much more fluid, practice strafing in mid-air in one particular direction. After getting the hang of it, switch to the opposite direction. As you practice this movement repeatedly, it will start feeling more natural.
Here’s a video guide to better understand the Bunny Hopping movement.
Why Should You Use Bunny Hopping?
Many professional Valorant players use Bunny Hopping for good reasons. Firstly, it makes them a very hard-to-hit target. Secondly, it allows them to travel between point A to point B a bit quickly.
Bunny Hopping can be useful in situations where you need to change your position while being in front of the enemy’s line of fire. As you’ll be constantly jumping and strafing, it’ll become much more difficult for enemies to land a headshot on you.
That being said, if you’re trying to rotate or flank your enemies, it is always better to run rather than use bunny hopping.
Tip: As you become the master in B-hopping, you can also train yourself to bunny hop sideways or even in the reverse direction!