Enchanting is fun and a very powerful mechanic in Skyrim when used correctly. It’s a process where you apply magical effects on your gear to make you even more powerful and deadly.
You can make swords that can deal elemental damage, craft boots that can make you more proficient at sneaking, or make jewelry that can make you better at bartering.
There are three essential items you’ll need to perform enchanting,
- A non-enchanted weapon or armor
- An enchantment spell to apply to your gear
- A filled soul gem to power the enchantment process
Once you’ve gathered the necessary items, head to an Arcane enchanter table to infuse your gear with magic. Let’s discuss !
Step 1: Locate an Arcane Enchanter
Before you enchant an item, you’ll need to find the enchanting table. The magical table allows you to enchant as well as disenchant items.
Now, there are many locations where you can find Arane Enchanter table, but the most convenient places are Dragonsreach and Morthal.
- Head inside Dragonsreach, and you’ll find an Arcane enchanter in Farengar Secret-Fire’s quarters.
- In Morthal, you’ll find the enchanting table in Falion’s home.
- After locating the Arcane Enchanter, simply interact with it.
Step 2: Pick an Item
Next, you’ll need to pick the item you wish to enchant. Switch to the item tab to view all the items in your inventory that can be enchanted.
If the item already has an enchantment or is a unique artifact, it will not appear in the enchantment menu.
Step 3: Select an Enchantment
Switch to the Enchantment tab to view the list of all known enchantments. If you’re yet to learn an enchantment spell, you can learn by disenchanting weapons and armor that are already enchanted.
Once you’ve learned the process, it will be permanently available in the list.
After selecting an enchantment spell, you can adjust the effectiveness of the enchantment.
For the weapons, you can adjust the power of enchantment and the available charges from the given slider. The more power you allocate to your weapon, the fewer charges will be available.
As for the armor, You won’t get a slider while enchanting them. But you can adjust the stat bonuses by selecting a high-tier soul gem.
Note: To be able to select an enchantment spell, you’ll also need to have at least one filled soul gem in your inventory.
Step 3: Choose a Soul Gem
After finalizing your enchantment, pick a filled soul gem from your inventory. Prioritize using the large soul gem in your inventory.
This will increase the value of your item and also the quality of your item. Weapons will get more charges, and armor will get more stat increase.
Step 4: Finish Enchanting
We’re pretty much done with the steps, all you need to do now is to finish the enchantment process by pressing craft.
You can also assign a custom name for your weapon by pressing the rename item button on your screen.
The complete enchantment process has been shown to make the job easier for you, Refer our video guide below,
How Does Enchantment Work in Different Gears?
Although the process to enchant weapons and armor are similar, the stat bonuses and the way enchantment work for both are completely different.
The enchanted weapon has a charge meter system that gets depleted every time you land a hit on an enemy, whereas the enchantments of armors are permanent, and they dont degrade over time.
In my opinion, the only downside of enchanted armor is that you can only apply certain enchantments to a particular armor piece.
For example, you can apply the Fortify Archery enchantment on your head and hand gears but not on the other armor pieces.
But again, allowing players to equip a full set of Fortify Archery sets can break the game by making them freakishly overpowered. So, it could be a good way to balance out the overall gameplay.
How to Become a Master at Enchanting?
To become a master at enchanting, you’ll need to know how enchanting works and also ways to maximize the output from enchanting.
We’ve already covered the enchanting process, So we’ll move on to how you can maximize your gear’s stats while enchanting.
- The first and most important thing you’ll need to do is level up your enchantment. Prioritize getting the Enchanter, Insightful Enchanter, Corpus Enchanter, and the Extra Effect perks from the Enchantment skill tree.
- The Enchanter perk will make all new enchantments up to 100% stronger.
- The Insightful Enchanter boosts the skill enchantment on your armor.
- The Corpus Enchanter will increase the Health, Magicka, and Stamina bonuses on your armor.
- Extra Effect perk allows you to put a second enchantment on your gear. This can make weapons and armor extremely powerful during the late game.
- Soul gems also play a vital role when enchanting weapons and armor.
- You’ll gain more charges on your weapon while using a Grand soul gem than a petty soul gem.
- Similarly, using high-tier soul gems on armor pieces will have higher enchantment effectiveness.
- Using a low-tier low gem will result in lower enchantment effectiveness.
- Furthermore, a high-tier soul gem will also increase the value of your equipment, allowing you to sell your unwanted gear for a profit.
What Are the Best Weapon Enchantments?
The game has many weapon enchantments, but only a handful are worthwhile. We’ve compiled them in a short list below.
Fiery Soul Trap
This is the best enchantment you can apply to a weapon when you need to fill a soul gem. It’s simply a better version of the Soul Trap enchantment.
Additionally, the enchantment also deals fire damage allowing you to finish off your enemies quickly.
If you often find yourself outnumbered by a group of enemies, then look out for the Paralzye enchantment. This is the most effective crowd-control enchantment spell in the game.
As the name suggests, the enchantment cripples your enemy for a few seconds, giving you enough time for a quick breather.
Next on our list is the Absorb Health enchantment. This is the most helpful enchantment for all the melee class players.
Not only does this enchantment deal extra damage to your enemies, but it also heals you, as long as you’re hitting them.
The best way to use this enchantment is to apply them on multiple one-handed weapons and dual-wield them to boost the health rate further.
Chaos damage is the best damage-dealing enchantment you can put on a weapon.
When you strike an enemy, it has a 50% chance to either apply fire, ice, and shock damage or a combination of all of them on the enemy.
The great thing about this enchantment is that you can further boost the elemental damages by acquiring the Augmented Flame, Augmented Frost, and Augmented Shock perks from the Destruction skill tree.
What Are the Best Enchantments for Armor?
Unlike weapon enchantment, there isn’t a particular best enchantment for armor. All the enchantments are very situational and based on your playstyle.
- For example, if you play as a stealth character, you should prioritize using Fortify Sneak, Lockpick, Pickpocketing, etc.
- Warrior class should go for Fortify Heavy Armor, One-Handed, Two-Handed, Healing Rate, etc.
- Mage classes can focus on Fortify Magicka Regen, Destruction, Restoration, Conjuration, Illusion, etc.
Note: Ensure that you have the Insightful and the Corpus Enchanter perks, as they make armor enchantment 25% stronger.