While some consider the powers of the Werewolves as a gift, others see it as a curse. According to the Elder Scrolls lore, becoming a werewolf means giving up their eternal rest in Sovengarde after death.
Instead, their spirits are compelled to hunt alongside the Daedrice Prince Hircine. This can be slightly off-putting for players seeking immersion and roleplaying as a true Dragonborn.
As for the gameplay element, the only debuffs that come along with the werewolf power is the inability to gain sleeping bonuses like the Rested, Well Rested, or the Lover’s comfort.
These effects can boost the rate of skill points you earn and are nearly essential if you’re trying to level up your character quickly.
There are a few different ways to cure your lycanthropy. The more straightforward way is by completing the entire companion questline. Or, if you prefer an easier alternative, you can become a Vampire Lord and cure the vampirism later.
Complete the Companion Questline
If you’ve become a werewolf after starting the companion questline, then you cure it by completing the questline. There are two instances where you can cure yourself.
The first one is at the end of the Glory of the Dead quest. The second is after completing the Purity quest for Vilkas and Farkas.
To get started, you’ll need to ask Aela, the huntress for more work. She’ll send you out to complete a few more radiant quests till eventually, she’ll mention Kodlak Whitemane seeking your assistance.
- Talk with Kodlak Whitemane to start the Blood’s Honor questline.
- Head to the Glenmoril coven. Kill all the Glenmoril witches and collect their heads. Collecting multiple Glenmoril witches’ heads is vital if you want to cure lycanthropy at the end of the questline.
- Then, complete the Purity of Revenge questline, which begins shortly after returning to Jorrvaskr.
- Finally, you’ll have to complete the Glory of the Dead questline which involves curing Kodlak of lycanthropy.
- Eorlund Gray-Mane will hand you over the Wuuthrad. You have to bring the weapon to the Ysgramor’s Tomb as it’s the key item to unlocking the dungeon.
- At the end of the dungeon, you’ll meet Kodlak. Throw a witch’s head at the blue Flame of Harbinger to cure him.
- After curing Kodlak, throw a second Glenmoril witch’s head at the blue flame to cure yourself.
- Defeat your wolf spirit to be free from the curse.
You can also cure yourself after completing the Glory of the Dead quest, but you’ll have to complete Purity questlines for the brother of Jorrvaskr, Farkas, and Vilkas.
After completing both Purity questlines, throw the Glenmoril head’s at the Flame of Harbinger to free yourself from lycanthropy.
Become the Vampire Lord
A better alternative to cure your lycanthropy is transforming yourself into a Vampire Lord. The game lets you keep only one beastly transformation active at a time.
Now, you’ll need to have the Dawnguard DLC expansion to play the quest, which involves becoming a Vampire Lord. Once you have the DLC, open your quest journal and start the Dawngaurd questline.
You should accept Volkihar’s gift during the Bloodline quest to get the transformation. If you’ve already rejected his gift, you can ask Serana to transform you when you progress further down the quest line.
After becoming the Vampire Lord, complete the Rising at Dawn questline to cure your vampirism.
PC players can get rid of their werewolf form using the console command.
This method technically doesn’t cure lycanthropy in the traditional ways, but it does remove your beastly form transformation and the debuffs.
- Press the tilde ~ key on your keyboard.
- Type in
player.setstage F6090 100and press the Enter key.
- Exit the console by pressing the tilde key again.
What Happens After Curing Lycanthropy?
Besides reverting your character to their original race, the post-cure gameplay remains the same.
You’ll still be the Harbinger of the Companion. None of the circle members will be hostile toward you after curing your lycanthropy. Furthermore, you’ll also gain all the bonuses from sleeping.
However, you will lose access to the Underforge, where your character initially transformed into a werewolf.
The other major downside is that you become susceptible to catching diseases, including the Sanguinare Vampiris.
Can I Become a Werewolf After Being Cured?
Yes, it’s possible to acquire lycanthropy again. After being cured of the curse, talk with Aela, the Huntress. She will grant you the werewolf powers one more time.