Whether you wish to get the best ending story in Elden Ring, or you desire to make the pretty blue colored witch Ranni, your betrothed, you will have to reach the final destination of her questline i.e. the Moonlight Altar.
Here, Ranni, with your help severs the bond with her Two Fingers, the same Two Fingers that had sealed her fate since her birth. This makes her capable of guiding you to a new world, which is above the governance of the corrupted Erdtree, away from the excruciating flames of chaos and untouched by the rot infesting the Lands Between.
This moonlit world of Ranni promises a brighter night and a fresh start, where Ranni and you as her consort will be the new rulers.
Reaching the Moonlight Altar is not easy, as this takes you to a whole new route than what Elden Ring players ordinarily take. You can reach the Altar once you beat a difficult boss, Astel, the Natural Born of the Void. This eldritch being resides deep beneath the eternal underground cities found beneath the Lands Between. After you defeat it, you will unlock a lift that will take you to the Moonlight Altar.
IMPORTANT: If you do not have the Dark Moon Ring with you at this point, you will need to go and get it. This item is found at Ranni’s mother Rennala’s residence chamber in the Raya Lucaria Academy. It’s locked inside a chest that can be opened by using the Discarded Palace Key. Note that, without the Dark Moon Ring in your possession, there will be a fog wall blocking the path to Moonlight Altar.
After that, we can guide you from the location where you defeat Astel to the Moonlight Altar with clear and comprehensive steps.
- Start from Astel the Natural Born of the Void Site of Grace, which is located underground in Lake of Rot. If you have defeated Astel and activated the Site, you should be able to fast travel there with ease.
- Head towards the cave in the north, its interior is illuminated in a warm golden candle light and filled with stalagmites protruding from the ground, and stalactites hanging from the ceiling.
- At the end of this cavern, there is a lift called Deep Ainsel Well, take the lift all the way up.
- Exit the chamber and you will be welcomed with Moonlight Altar text greeting your screen. Walk straight past the dense trees and you will reach an open area.
- Straight ahead from the lift exit, up in the hill, a moonlit view with a large ruined structure should be visible. Head towards this building.
- The building is a Cathedral called Manus Celes, which translates to Celestial Hand. It is a fitting name for a building that houses Ranni’s Two Fingers along with the palm they are attached to. Find the Site of Grace inside here.
- On the direct right of the Site of Grace is a deep hole. Head to the hole and carefully jump into it, there is an intermediate platform you need to jump to before you jump all the way down. If you jump to the bottom directly, the fall will kill you.
- Follow the cave inside the hole all the way till you meet Ranni with the bloodied two fingers’s corpse. She seems to have killed them using the Fingerslayer Blade which you gave to her earlier.
- Interact with Ranni and if the Dark Moon Ring is in your possession a cut-scene will start where you will put the ring on her finger, this now makes the two of you engaged and changes the final ending of the game. Additionally, she will gift you with the Moonlight Greatsword, which is arguably the most famous weapon across the entirety of Souls game.