Lone Wolf Ashes is used to summon a trio of brave wolves to aid you during the battle.
Lone Wolf Ashes is usually the first Spirit Summon you get your hands on in Elden Ring. Get it from Renna(Ranni the Witch), along with the Spirit Calling Bell, a key item for calling Spirit Ashes.
To use the Lone Wolf Ashes, you need to equip it in the quick-use slot or the pouch and then use it in the battle.
But before that, you need to complete a few steps. Here’s a quick walkthrough.
Obtain the Lone Wolf Ashes and Spirit Calling Bell
Here’s how you get Lone Wolf Ashes and Spirit Calling Bell.
- From The First Step Site of Grace where you are introduced to the open world of Limgrave. Reach the Church of Elleh and activate the Site of Grace.
- Head to the Gatefront Ruins Site of Grace and rest there, where Melina will come and introduce herself to you.
- Melina will ask to aid you on your journey. Accept her request, she will then give you the Spectral Steed Whistle.
- Spectral Steed Whistle is a key item that will help summon a horse named Torrent.
- Now, head back to the Church of Elleh during the nighttime. You can see a blue mist around the church, and Ranni will call you and ask if you are the Tarnished who rides the Spectral Steed across the Lands Between. Respond by saying -Yes, you are the rider of the Spectral Steed.
- Converse with her, after introductions, she will give you the Spirit Calling Bell and Lone Wolf Ashes.
Lone Wolf Spirit Ash Strength and Weakness
Lone Wolf ashes consume fifty-five FP to summon three wolves to munch down on your enemies. The wolves help break enemies’ poise and stance if they are about to charge an attack.
You can also stagger big enemies, such as trolls, to land a visceral attack.
While they are effective for distracting minor foes, enemies who do AOE damage can wipe all three of them out quickly. So make sure to learn about enemy attacks before calling the Lone Wolf Ashes.
How to Use the Lone Wolf Ashes?
Using the shortcuts mentioned below, you can quickly summon the Lone Wolves and other summoning ashes from your inventory.
From Quick Item Slot
Quick Item Slot is the section where you have quick access to various items and healing items known as Flask of Crimson Tears. You can toggle between different items to use them efficiently during battle.
Likewise, you can place the Lone Wolf Ashes in the Quick Item Slot to summon them quickly in battle.
Below are the steps for placing Lone Wolf spirit ashes in quick Item Slot.
- Open the game menu. Press the ESC key on the PC or the options button on PS/Xbox gamepad.
- Go to Inventory.
- Select any slot of the fifth or sixth row.
- Select the Lone Wolf Ashes; the slot is now filled with Lone wolf ash.
- You can see the Lone Wolf ashes in the equipment HUD in the game. Use the down-directional key or down-Dpad button to toggle and reveal the Spirit Ash.
- To summon the spirits of Lone Wolf, press the R key on PC, the X button on Xbox, and the Square button on PlayStation.
You can also use the pouch feature to summon Lone Wolf Ashes quickly. The pouch is generally used to summon Torrent or, in my case, light up the Lantern.
Here is how you place Spirit Ashes such as Lone Wolf in your pouches.
- Open the game menu.
- On the right side, you can see the four pouches. One is probably reserved with Memory of Grace, but you can replace it with anything you deem more useful.
- Select one of the pouch slots and place your Lone Wolf Spirit Ashes.
- There are two button combinations to open the pouch and then select the item in it.
Keep Holding the E key for PC/triangle in PlayStation /Y in Xbox and press the direction key/D-pad button corresponding to the pouch slot which houses the Spirit Ash to summon.
Spirit Summoning Areas
Spirit Summoning areas are indicated by a Purple Gate Icon on the left side of the screen. The icon only appears in the vicinity of Rebirth Monuments.
You can usually summon a Spirit Ash in a boss-fight arena, no matter if it’s a field boss or a legendary boss. However, bosses you encounter inside Evergaols cannot be fought with Spirit Ashes.
The summon is no longer activated once the boss of the area is defeated.
You can also send back the Spirit Ashes by using the same method applied for calling them. Once the spirit is recalled, you cannot summon them again until you rest at the Site of Grace.
If you move too far away from the area that has the rebirth monument, the spirits will slowly fade away and will be unsummoned.
Here’s a complete video guide showing the whole process,