Whether you want to get your hands on Moonveil Katana or get more Dragon Hearts, you must learn to defeat the Magma Wyrms.
Magma Wyrms are fire-spewing magma-vomiting enemies that look like a mix between dragons and salamanders. Along with their fire attacks, the Wyrms also have a huge serrated sword, which they will use to rip you apart.
There are other variants of Magma Wyrms, like, Magma Wyrm Makar and Great Wyrm Theodorix, who are very similar to standard Magma Wyrms.
Magma Wyrm Makar may be blocking an optional path you might have to take to progress. So it might come quite handy if you learn how to defeat these monstrous bosses.
There are a total of 5 Magma Wyrms across the Lands Between. Each has slightly different stats, and each is found in a different arena, forcing you to play by their rules.
Let’s go through them all.
Table of Contents
Magma Wyrm—Gael Tunnels
The Gael Tunnels Magma Wyrm is a dungeon boss. This bad lizard is the first magma wyrm you will likely encounter and will be one of the toughest if you dare battle him in the early stage of the game. Here are some facts and stats about this boss.
- This Wyrm has a total of 7141 HP, and its Defense stat is 109.
- The boss drops 7500 Runes at death, along with the Moonveil Katana and one Dragon Heart.
- This is the only Magma Wyrm on the list that does not have a second phase.
- This Magma Wyrm has 120 Stance Health.
- You can attack him with a critical hit once you deplete his Stance Health.
- The attacks performed by this Wyrm cannot be parried.
- The Wyrm’s weak spot is its head, and it is also weak to physical damage and sleep.
- The Wyrm is resistant to Fire damage and Frostbite.
- Magma Wyrm deals Slash and Strike-type physical damage and Fire damage with lava attacks.
- It cannot be fought horseback on Torrent.
- You can summon Multiplayer allies against this boss.
Magma Wyrm (Gael Tunnels) Movesets
The Wyrm has two types of magma attacks.
- It performs a charging attack that vomits magma, which pools on the ground and damages you on contact. The boss can repeat the charge from one time to even four times.
- It shoots or sprays magma vomit at your location and leaves a damaging magma pool.
The Wyrm has four types of sword attacks.
- A horizontal swipe. Uses the curved sword and slices low in a 180-degree arc.
- A stab and hook combo using the curved sword.
- A ground slam using the sword which creates a large shock wave. The boss will raise its body and put the sword under its chest before slamming it down.
- A lunging sword slam that it rarely uses. The boss smashes the sword on the ground and proceeds to grasp it with its mouth before launching itself in the air toward your position.
Note: This variation does not have a Second Phase.
Tips to Defeat Gael Tunnels Magma Wyrm
- The best way to defeat this Wyrm in the early game is by casting the Rock Sling sorcery using a Meteorite Staff. Make sure you take a lot of Cerulean flasks and use the Rock Sling to defeat the boss easily. The strategy is also shown in the video guide. But if you are not keen on using that strategy, read on.
- You will need to learn how to hit the Wyrm on its head for maximum damage, as it is the weak spot.
- During the beginning of the battle, charge towards it and get it a couple of strikes on its head quickly, just like we did in the video.
- You will need to create openings and learn to dodge to get an opening and hit the head. The best attack to dodge is the horizontal swipe, which is very predictable and leaves the Wyrm wide open.
- Ensure you recognize when the boss will use the ground slam. It will raise its body, put the sword underneath it, and quickly slam the ground, creating a large shockwave. Either move away or time your dodge with the slam.
- When the boss charges with lava vomit, stay clear, as you might get cornered between the boss and the lava and die.
- In the early game, take a weapon with bleed, as the bleed proc might come in clutch.
- If you have sturdy Spirit Ashes like Crystalian or Banished Knight Envall, try to use them as a decoy as you get in some hits.
- You can use the FlameDrake Talisman you get from beating the boss in Groveside Cave, just northwest of the Church of Elleh, to reduce the fire damage.
Magma Wyrm—Fort Laidd
This Magma Wyrm is a field boss. Along with having to fight the Magma Wyrm, here you will need to fight the elements. The large lava arena, which damages you if you stand on it, is an additional challenge while fighting this boss.
- The boss has a total of 12,243 HP
- The defense stat total for the Magma Wyrm is 114.
- You will get 19000 Runes once you beat him along with one Dragon Heart. Defeating this boss also lets you get Magma Breath (an Incantation) from the Cathedral of Dragon Communion.
- This boss has a second phase that is denoted by the wyrm spewing lava while standing on its hind legs. The second phase gets triggered once the boss’s HP decreases below 60%.
- Every other specification is the same as the previous Magma Wyrm, except you can fight the boss on horseback while riding on Torrent.
Magma Wyrm (Fort Laidd) Movesets
The phase 1 attacks are the same as Gael Tunnel Magma Wyrm.
When at or below 60% health. The boss will stand up on its hind legs and start vomiting pools of lava on the floor. The sword will also glow red during the second phase.
PHASE 2 ADDED SWORD ATTACKS
The wyrm has two additional sword attacks.
- A combo that starts with a spin or a roll and ends with a sword swipe.
- Chops vertically with the sword.
PHASE 2 ADDED MAGMA ATTACKS
The wyrm now has two added magma attacks.
- A large AoE lava spray in its front, making the boss look like it’s breathing out the lava.
- A lava pool vomit is similar to the second phase transition, leaving damaging lava underneath the boss.
Tips to Defeat Fort Laidd Magma Wyrm
- Still, the best tip to destroy this boss is by using Meteorite Staff and Rock Sling while riding horseback on Torrent. Other strategies are the same as the previous Magma Wyrm. Anything different is mentioned below.
- As you are able to ride horseback for this fight, you can use cheesy strategies like poisoning the boss and running around till it succumbs to the poison. You can even use rot breath as the boss is susceptible to DoT from Scarlet Rot.
- Avoid fighting at the Lava lake unless it is necessary, as it will either damage you or damage torrent you when on horseback. Also, avoid fighting near Fort Laidd, as it is full of enemies that will attack you.
- During the Magma Vomit attack in the second phase, go behind and attack its tail because you will sustain damage if you stay at the bosses’ front or sides due to the burning magma that will cover the ground.
- In the second phase, the boss stands up, which means its weakness, the head, is going to be away from your reach. Another thing, the boss’s new attacks are front-focused like the Sword Chop, so going around and attacking the tail is your best bet.
Magma Wyrm—Volcano Manor
This Magma Wyrm is not counted as a boss but has almost the same stats as the Magma Wyrm at Fort Laiedd. Even if it isn’t counted as a boss, this is the toughest to defeat Magma Wyrm if you try to fight it head-on because of the arena.
- This wyrm also has a total of 12,243 HP and 114 defense stat.
- You will get 5044 Runes and one Dragon Heart after defeating this wyrm.
- The enemy also has a second phase, just like the magma wyrm at Fort Laidd, even if this enemy isn’t counted as a boss.
- You cannot fight this boss while riding on Torrent. Apart from that, every other specification is the same as the previous bosses.
- You can fight multiplayer against this Magma Wyrm as long as you have not defeated the Godskin Noble Boss at the Temple of Eiglay, as defeating the boss disables the multiplayer for this area.
Magma Wyrm (Volcano Manor) Movesets
The movesets of this Wyrm are exactly the same as the Magma Wyrm at Fort Laidd, and this boss also has a phase 2.
Tips to Defeat Volcano Manor Magma Wyrm
- You can easily cheese this magma-vomiting lizard by using ranged attacks. After you aggro the Magma Wyrm, use the elevator to go back up and pummel the boss with ranged attacks from the edge of the platform.
- Other tips are the same as the previous Magma Wyrms.
Magma Wyrm Makar
Although an optional boss, defeating this boss will lead you to some good rewards. This boss is also a dungeon boss and awaits you at the end of Ruin Strewn Precipice. Even if this boss sounds tough, it is not as dangerous as the ones before and is probably the easiest to defeat among them all.
- Makar’s stats are the same as the Magma Wyrm in Gael Tunnels, as this boss also has a total of 7141 HP and 109 defense stat. Every other stat is also the same. If there’s anything different, we will mention it in the following points.
- Makar drops Magma Wyrm’s Scalesword (a unique curved Greatsword), one Dragon Heart, and 24000 Runes when defeated.
- Along with multiplayer allies, summons against this boss, and you can also summon NPC allies. Great Horned Tragoth can be summoned as long as this boss isn’t defeated. NPC Millicent (after leaving Gowry’s Shack in Sellia and before giving her the Valkyrie Prosthesis) and Blackguard Big Boggart (after buying his prawns and before being killed) can also be summoned if you meet their quest conditions.
Magma Wyrm Makar Movesets
The movesets are the exact same as previous Magma Wyrms, and the boss also has a Phase 2.
Tips to Defeat Magma Wyrm Makar
- Summon the NPC allies mentioned above, and you can summon spirits, making this fight considerably easier to handle.
- Other tips for him are the same as the previous Magma Wyrms.
Great Wyrm Theodorix
The biggest and the baddest of all Magma Wyrms in Elden Ring. You can find this scaly enemy at the eastern edge of Consecrated Snowfield, at the end of the frozen river.
This boss can one-shot even the toughest of the Tarnished and is very bulky. Some consider it to be even tougher than a lot of end-game story bosses.
- Theodorix has 25649 HP, and its defense stat is 122. Every other stats of Theodorix is similar to its other cousins.
- Upon defeat, Theodorix drops 180000 Runes and 3x Dragon Hearts. You can also obtain Theodorix’s Magma (an Incantation) from Dragon Communion Cathedral at Caelid post defeating the Great Wyrm.
Great Wyrm Theodorix Movesets
Theodorix’s movesets are exactly the same as the previous Magma Wyrms. Theodorix’s bossfight also has Phase 2.
Tips to Defeat Great Wyrm Theodorix
- You can cheese this boss if you have ranged attacks by using run and gun strategies.
- There is another strategy you can use to cheese this boss. Aggro the boss and bring it to the three land octopuses nearby—these enemies will help you kill this boss.
- Other strategies stand the same as the previous variations.