Like many MMO games, Elden Ring has the feature to keep the game running regardless of you pressing the start button to reveal the game menu. The non-pause system has been in From Software since the start of dark souls games, where you either die or defeat enemies around you.
Luckily Elden Ring players have figured out a way to pause Elden Ring completely so you can resume your inevitable real-world task. Fiddle around a bit with your in-game settings and you can actually pause Elden Ring. Remember this trick won’t work on multiplayer sessions.
- Press the start button to open the game menu.
- Select inventory.
- Press Help using the touchpad on PlayStation or the X Logo on the Xbox controller to reveal the Help Menu.
- Go below Menu Explanation and press OK to view Inventory Menu. This will pause your game as well.
You have now stopped the entirety of the Elden Ring universe on the exact spot. You might have delayed your inevitable doom against Elden Ring enemies for now, but once you press the start button, the game will resume where you left off. Thanks to the Elden Ring secret pause system, you can complete your real-life problems right away.
On Windows PC
For all PC players out there, here’s how you pause Elden Ring in case you are confused about the right button smash.
- During the game, press the Escape key, and the game menu will appear.
- Click on inventory.
- Click on the Help icon down below the screen.
- Click on Menu Explanation and the game will pause as long as you’re on the Menu Explanation window.
Now you can continue your office work while the game is paused. Complete your task, return to your PC, un-pause the game and defeat the bosses of lands between.