General Radahn is one of the Shardbearers you can choose to defeat and forge your path toward becoming an Elden Lord. Just keep in mind he is no pushover like Godrick or Rennala, even though there are ways to cheese this boss fight.
In order to get to Starscourge Radahn, you need to participate in the Festival of War, the Radahn Festival. Take a teleporter here and go to the Wailing Dunes, a desert scape composed of rust-red sand, where Starscourge Radahn awaits for a champion who can defeat him and put an end to his misery.
There are three known methods to reach Radahn at the Wailing Dunes, two of them need the Impassable Greatbridge Waygate to be activated, whereas, for the third way its activation is optional. The methods are,
- By activating any one Site of Grace in Altus Plateau.
- Ranni’s Questline, Involves talking to Seluvis, Sorceress Sellen, and Blaidd (Ranni Questline-I)
- Ranni’s Questline, Involves talking to Witch Hunter Jerren and War Counselor Iji to initiate the festival (Ranni Questline-II)
The first option requires less time and no compulsory boss fights. But be careful while using the first option, as reaching Altus Plateau means many NPCs might move from their current locations, making their questlines inaccessible or making you miss out on items or interactions.
The second option lets you experience a large portion of the Elden Ring’s storyline so for the first timers, we recommend you choose this option.
This third option is relatively obscure and more difficult. You can use this incase crucial NPCs(Seluvis or Sorceress Sellen) are inaccessible or dead or if you want to avoid the first option.
By Activating Any Site of Grace in Altus Plateau.
In order to reach Altus Plateau, you will need two halves of the Dectus Medallion. Here is the detailed guide to obtaining both,
- The first half of the medallion is located atop Fort Haight, situated to the southeast of Mistwood Forest.
- The second half is located atop Fort Faroth, which is northeast of the Church of the Plague. You can either access it using a Spirit spring north of the Church of Plague or by riding across the Dragonbarrow.
- With both pieces of the medallion in possession, multiple ways exist to reach the Grand Lift of Dectus. All of the 4 known paths go through the Bellum Highway.
- The first option is to go through Raya Lucaria Academy by obtaining the Academy Glintstone Key. (Details are below)
- Use the key to enter from the magical seal in South Raya Lucaria Gate past the Laketown, which takes you to the Academy Main Gate in the north. There is a Site of Grace here, also named Main Academy Gate.
- Find another magical seal in the north from the area with the Main Academy Gate Site of Grace and use it to teleport to the East Raya Lucaria Gate Site of Grace. This area is the start of the Bellum Highway, which takes you to the Dectus Lift.
- The second option is to find your path to a cliff with jumpable stone platforms from the Church of Vows and jump down to Bellum Highway. Then ride north to the Dectus Lift.
- The third option is to reach the entrance of the Caria Manor, then, without entering, head northeast along the cliffs till you find a Stonespire bridge. Use the bridge to jump over the ravine and reach the Bellum Highway, which leads to the Grand Lift.
- There is a fourth option to reach Bellum Highway. Along the ravine path north of Liurnia Lake, that’s covered in large egg-shaped enemies who spew toxic air along the way, find a diverging path towards the right. It will lead you to the Bellum Church, which leads to the Bellum Highway.
- Now go to the Grand Lift of Dectus and use the Dectus Medallion to activate and ride the lift up.
- Once you are in Altus Plateau, activate the Altus Plateau Site of Grace located north of the Grand Lift of Dectus(alternatively, you can activate any Site of Grace within this region).
- Travel to the southeast edge of Caelid and reach the waygate, or just fast-travel back to the Impassable Greatbridge Site of Grace, and you will see that the Waygate is activated.
- Inside the Redmane Castle, the regular dungeon has been changed into a festival area where champions have gathered. Here, talk to the Witch-Hunter Jerren, who is giving epic lectures to the gathered warriors.
- He will ask if you are ready to head into the battle against Radahn, Select” Ready as I’ll ever be” Take the wooden lift at the back of the castle and use the Redmane Castle Waygate that will teleport you directly to Radahn’s boss fight arena.
Through Ranni’s Questline (Seluvis, Sellen, and Blaidd)
This is the most suitable path to reach Radahn if you are playing the game for the first time. It ensures you don’t miss the stories and the character interactions. This involves following Ranni’s Questline and entering her service.
Once you are in Ranni’s service, your first task is to find a way to reach Nokron, an eternal city that lies underground of Lands Between.
- Exit Ranni’s Rise after entering Ranni’s service after talking to Blaidd, Iji, and Seluvis.
- Once out, go underground to a marked location at Siofra River to find Blaidd, who is staring at Nokron City up above but is unable to reach it. Talk to him till he asks you to contact Seluvis for help.
- Go to Seluvis’s Rise, southeast of Ranni’s Rise, and talk to Seluvis. You need to ask him about Nokron so that he gives you a Seluvis’s Letter of Introduction to take to Sorcress Sellen.
- Find Sorcress Sellen underground in the Waypoint Ruins. If it’s your first time here, a Mad PumpkinHead boss will be guarding the underground chamber. Defeat the boss and enter Sellen’s chamber. Proceed to give the Letter to her and hear out everything she has to say.
- Take the newly obtained Information back to Blaidd, he is underground at the same location(near the Siofra River bank) he was in earlier. Talk to him till he mentions a festival being held at Redmane Castle.
- Once Blaidd mentions the festival, simply travel to the southeast edge of Caelid or fast travel to the Impassable Greatbridge Site of Grace. The waygate will be activated, which leads you to the festival grounds. Like the last method, talk to Jerren(the NPC announcing the festival), then head out to battle Radahn at the Wailing Dunes.
Through Ranni’s Questline (Witch Hunter Jerren and War Counselor Iji)
This is a relatively unknown path. It involves fighting a difficult duo of bosses to reach the Redmane Castle before the festival begins. Additionally, this path does not need the teleporter to be used to get into the Castle.
You also need to have started Ranni’s questline by entering her service in order to take this path.
This path also can be taken if Sorcress Sellen is unreachable or Perceptor Seluvis is already dead.
- Reach the Impassable Greatbridge Site of Grace, and this time, you don’t need to take the waygate/teleporter. Rather, traverse the Impassable bridge while dodging the fireballs being lobbed at you from the trebuchet defending the Redmane Castle.
- Head uphill towards the main castle gate, left of the bridge, past the spiked wooden defenses. Be careful, the Castle Soldiers with exploding arrow ballista are defending this area.
- Reach the Castle’s main gate, where a Giant Troll will jump at you. You can avoid him and take the cliff path towards the right, past a bunch of Giant Bats, around the castle, all the way to behind the Castle till you see some stairs and a ladder.
- Climb the ladder, and reach the Ramparts of the Redmane Castle. From here, navigate the ramparts, past a structure with Radahn’s Knight, and climb down the ladder to reach the lower area of the Redmane Castle.
- In this location, there are a couple of doorways, one leads you outside from where you came in, whereas another has a staircase that leads you further lower the Castle grounds. Take the doorway to go further inside the Castle.
- There are two lion enemies guarding the area you will exit, take a sharp right from the exit towards a defended pathway towards the insides of the castle. Along this defended pathway on the right is a chamber that has a Site of Grace, activate it for a shortcut and fast travel.
- Exit the Site of Grace. Ahead will be a fog gate, enter it to fight a duo of bosses, a Leonine Misbegotten and a Crucible Knight. This is a tough fight to overcome, so give it your all. Defeat the bosses to get a new Site of Grace in the middle of the arena.
- Once you defeat the duo bosses, go ahead to meet Witch Hunter Jerren and introduce yourself to him. He will acknowledge you as being on par with the bravest of champions. If you have started Ranni’s quest, you can ask Jerren about Iji.
- Fast travel to Road to Manor Site of Grace, where Iji currently resides. Talk to him, and you will have new dialogue options. Select other dialogue options before you select one about Jerren to not miss out on the interactions. Once you ask Iji about Jerren, he will give you a story about Radahn which prompts the start of the festival.
- This now activates the Impassable Greatbridge Waygate, and you can directly travel to one of the Sites of Grace(previously activated) inside the castle. The festival will have started, and you can talk to Jerren, then head to fight Radhan behind the Redmane Castle at the Wailing Ruins.
Who Is Radahn, the Starscourge?
Radahn, during his time, was considered the strongest of all demigods. He was also compassionate, as Radahn’s love for his horse Leonard makes up for a heartwarming story.
Radahn was given Leonard during his childhood years, but as Radahn kept on growing in size, becoming monstrous, he could not ride Leonard anymore.
This saddened Radahn, but he figured out a way by which he could ride Leonard again. He learned to defy gravity using gravitational magic, making himself weightless and thus re-enabling Leonard to carry massive Radahn with ease.
During the war of Shattering, Radahn fought the brave Malenia to a standstill and took her to the ultimate limit, where she had to tap into the power of the Scarlet Rot just to stand on par with Radahn.
This event, the fight between Malenia and Radahn, concluded with an explosion of Scarlet Aeonia, the blossoming flower of Rot, across the continent of Caelid.
Malenia ended up losing consciousness and had to be rescued by one of her knights, whereas Radahn went mad due to the exposure to the Scarlet Rot.
Now, the once brave general prowls the Wailing Runes, feeding upon corpses and screaming into the night, waiting for a befitting end.
During our adventure across Lands Between, we learn that Radahn the Starscourge has stilled the stars by using his gravitational magic mastery.
His power has blocked Ranni’s fate, which is bound to stars, and defeating him frees the stars, making them fall upon Lands Between.
This event unlocks Ranni’s fate and the pathway to Nokron.
You can summon eight other NPCs to assist you during the fight with Radahn. All who are champions that have gathered to put a legendary champion of the past to his rest, except for the cowardly Patches.